I write, you read. No bargaining.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

The Joy of Walking

I am a homely person. Do not attempt to describe me anything as outgoing, active or sporty, for I am quite a lazy bum to be honest. OK, so I had some energetic moments when I do hit the gym, participate in charity runs and engage in some challenging sports under the influence of either dangerous drugs or dangerous friends. Still, I'd rather have it slow and easy.

It is quite contradictory then, for me to tell you that I love to walk. Actually, I am one industrious walker who can go on and on for hours at a stretch. I can walk everyday, in any weather condition. In fact, walking is so enjoyable to me that it has become less of a chore, and more of a natural intuition. I'll walk even when I am wearing high heels or carrying a heavy pack (not both though, I'm not that insane yet).

Now, before you chiropractically-correct health enthusiasts start reprimanding me for doing unthinkable damage to my joints and my precious heels (mind you, the shoe parts, not the human anatomy), let me dutifully inform that I already have a bad knee and a weak lower back, so give me a break.

Yes, I do know the correct shoes, the correct outfit and the correct terrain, for that matter, to conduct a proper walk in. It's just that when the mood, the surroundings and the timing kick in, what does it matter? It's akin to singing in the rain - there's no stopping spontaneity. So stop getting hung up about that little bit of incorrectness and read on.

My friends tease me all the time for the hard work I do, saying that I must be less evolved and hence cannot adapt to newer forms of transportation. To that, I agree. After all, I was born a Capricorn and all the poor goat does is walk round the mountains every day. I would laugh and lament about my wretched life, but secretly endeavor to continue enjoying my walks. Indulge me, please.

The farthest back I can manage to recall going for long walks on my own was the time I studied in the States. It was partly to explore the pretty Victorian neighborhood, and partly because I did not have a car then. Most unfortunately too, the nearest grocer's was more than a mile away. It was either I depend on the unreliable public bus or use my own two feet to get around. I chose the latter. Hence for the next few years, I treaded in infamous Minnesotan snow and sometimes even had to skate on sidewalk ice just to get to hold of a pack of Kleenex.

Honestly, I enjoyed the sensation of stomping in the feet-deep snow in boots and a heavy winter jacket, with a backpack on my shoulder. My groceries add to the good workout, but it was the simple feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment of completing a mundane task that was quite irreplaceable by any other activity. Others thought I was extremely silly to be out in freezing conditions when I could have waited for the weekend to come, when friends with cars would go grocery shopping and could give me a ride. Well, perhaps they did not know how it was like to have never walked on snow nor wore boots ever.

Of course, there were nicer hikes that I went on over weekends, away from the urban jungle. No carbon monoxide, no concrete, no maddening crowds (actually there wasn't much of these anyway); just plenty of fresh air and scenic greenery. Minnesota isn't called the Land of 10,000 Lakes for nothing. There are huge national parks to explore and every season boasts a different experience. My favorite has got to be fall (they call it autumn from where I come from), mainly because of the stretches of red leaves in every brilliant shade that rustled under my feet as I strode away. I have never seen a sight I liked better.

Later on, when I was living in Taipei, I got quite bored of the limited urban activities such as shopping, eating and KTV singing, that I started to explore every nook and cranny of the city on foot. I would walk for hours without any destination in mind, just entertaining myself with the colorful sights and sounds that came my way. Before long, I knew the streets like the back of my hand. There were times when I weren't paying any attention to my surroundings. Rather, letting the noise and fumes engulf me until I got lost in my own rhythmic pace. It became my form of meditation in a crazy city.

A few years ago, my father was diagnosed with lung cancer. Fortunately, it hadn't spread then and part of his lungs was surgically removed. The doctor advised him to exercise regularly to strengthen his lungs, which he did, under the supervision of my mother. Over the next year, they went for long walks everyday and covered every possible trail in Singapore. It was from accompanying my parents for their walks that I realized how much nature we have in our tiny, overdeveloped country, just minutes away from the hustle bustle that we all know too well.

I was astonished to see an extended family of primates splashing away happily on a quiet weekday afternoon at MacRitchie Park. Then there was the time I almost stepped on a small black-and-red snake napping on the Lower Peirce boardwalk. And yet another time when I caught the sun setting over the Seletar Reservoir in magnificent green background and dazzling orange lights bouncing off the water. These are but a few examples of what you get to see if you'd just step outside a while. You'll realize that there is no shortage of places for a good walk in Singapore too.

For me, walking has cultivated myself a mind for patience and a heart for nature. I started to appreciate the little things that I have seemed to overlook in the past. Like how wonderful it is to be able to sit down in serenity for a couple of minutes to have a refreshing sip of water, how touching it can be to walk silently beside your loved ones, how exciting it is to have rain pelting down on you as you run for shelter under the forest cover. And most of all, how amazing it is to be on this wonderful planet.

I hope you too, will enjoy a walk or two, and cherish the moments of splendor each brings. Maybe then, you can write about it, as I did.

No comments: