I write, you read. No bargaining.

Sunday, June 20, 2004

Changing Tastebuds

Not specifically pertaining to the anatomy commonly known as the tongue, but taste in all sense of the word. Style, color, habits, loves and hates etc.

Take this blog template for example. I used to hate polka dots to the extent that hatred is actually a gross understatement. In fact, there was immediate physical allergy to seeing any cluster of circular or spherical objects. Even the Olympic logo came quite close to triggering a goosebump overload. It was a miracle that I survived Chemistry class drawing all those round molecular structures with little round electrons...

Now, probably effected by a change in age and hence intriguing changes to the likeness of some alkaline or hormonal levels, I have began to appreciate the beauty of round holey dotty shapes.

Similarly, I have adopted a strange liking for loud colors. The likes of red, orange, yellow, lime green, purple and pink. Yessir, PINK. Pink as in the color of cartoon pigs, pink as in the shade you get when you mix red and white paints. The pink that is universally associated with airy fairy girlish romance and, Lord behold, the color that has a human equivalent of Elle Woods a la Legally Blonde. "eeeew!"

Not strange at all for a girl you'd say, but it's really a 180-degree turn considering my past favorites of navy blue, khaki, brown... I think you get the picture.

Food-wise, I had always thought that food isn't worth tasting if there was no accompanying dollop of fiery hot sambal chilli or extra cheese toppings. In other words, I was a all for strong, pack-a-punch flavors. That was a time when I equate plain salad to cow feed.

However to my own dismay, I am becoming more unadventurous and mudane in my choice of food lately, developing appreciation for what a food column might describe as 'healthy, with mild, gentle flavors of natural juices'... Thank God I have yet to turn to puritan au naturel salads or wholesome organic bread, though I think that will be all for the better. A long overdue wake-up call from all that junk food overload.

So, who said anything about a leopard never changing its spots? You just can't be too sure.

No comments: