I write, you read. No bargaining.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Things Fall Apart

I've studied Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe's novel of the same title when I was in secondary school. While most of my classmates hated it, I have to say that it had some kind of emotional impact on me. What exactly is was, I couldn't tell then, but I was deeply grieved. Somehow, the strange Igbo African dialect rang with natural melancholy.

I remember most clearly, the scene in which Okwonko decides that his chi, along with the rest of his tribe, has deserted him, and he hangs himself. From a man of bravery, to a man of lonely death, there is no sorrier destitution than the betrayal of his own kind. The betrayal against his every belief, all that have long been forsaken by his own people. And that, is just because Okwonko's world has changed. Changed for the better, some may say. Or maybe, simply changed because nothing doesn't.

Change isn't sad. Hopelessness is. And hopelessness, I dare say, comes from within, when one perceives that he has been deserted, when it is he who has walked away.

I believe that things fall apart. They all do. But I do also believe that things come back together too. If you'd just hang around long enough for it to happen, and amuse yourself in the meantime, things ain't all that gloomy. Now, if only Okwonko knows better.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

- William Butler Yeats

No comments: