I write, you read. No bargaining.

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Career Crossroads

This is a happening week. So happening that I'm not quite sure what happened...

I had signed the letter of appointment from my company's China HR dept for my relocation to Shanghai next April, and thus sealing my fate to become an underpaid foreign worker.

Then on the very next day, I received MOE's notification for an interview to teach. Oh, how I've waited for this day to come! Felt elation followed by intense worry, because my interview date is scheduled on the day I fly off to Taipei. I'm never going to make it. What now? See? That's the punishment for thinking of having fun all the time.

Guess the only way out is to call in tomorrow for a new date. Fingers crossed, pray pray pray hard.

And if I really get the teaching job, I'll have to worry about how to break the news to my boss.

"David, I'm not going to Shanghai after all. I'm absolutely terrified of taking a plane." Blah.
"David, I can't express how sorry I am, but I've decided to retire." Two blahs.
"David, I don't think I am suited for the job. I'm applying to be your boss." Triple blahs plus bonus bouts of self-satisfaction.
"David, I regret to inform you that I am resigning coz I've got a better offer from the Ministry of Exxxxxxxx. Their slavery package is more attractive." Perfect.

Updated Jan'05 - Read a news article in the local papers about a British bloke who got fired from his job because he explicitly demonstrated hostility toward his boss in his blog, calling him names and claiming to be treacherously exploited like a slave.

After careful consideration, I have decided that I am not a coward and will not remove this entry even if I risk getting the sack. But Boss, in case if you do read this, I must solemnly declare that the above post is purely fictional, done in the manner of good fun and light-hearted humor, and is in no way reflective of the actual situation. I love my job, I love my company, I love you!

No comments: