I write, you read. No bargaining.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

LV Bags and Me

Anyone who is over 14 years old and knows how to spell the word 'fashion' would be able to understand my blog post title. But in case you cannot quite figure it out yet, LV stands for Louis Vuitton, as in the really-quite-expensive-but-everybody's-carrying-it-I-wonder-if-they're-fake designer brand.

So, what about LV bags and me? Not obsession, not envy, just sadly, my ill-fated lack of destiny to ever be toting one, be it LV, Prada, Fendi or any other incredibly pricy brands ever known to mankind.

I made an astute observation that there are three types of bag carriers in this world. The No-Branders, the Buy-Branders, and the What?-Branders. I belong to the first category of consumers who are less sensitive to 'excellent craftsmanship' and appreciative stares from the masses.

But wait a minute. That does not mean that I am any less fashionable or less shopaholic, although I once commited a dreadful fashion faux pas by carrying supermarket plastic bags onboard a business class flight (but let's forget that, shall we?). It's just a matter of different personal perspectives of cost effectiveness.

Quoting a close friend of mine (Carmen, that's you) who summarized all Category 1-ers' stand, "It's not that we cannot afford it; it's just not worth it." Well-said. No offence to the Category 2-ers who have impeccable taste for good things, we merely place importance to different things. Carmen would probably blow $5K to get herself a Cartier watch, and I, on travel.

But bags. Hmm...I take a minute to ponder. Imagine if for some strange twist of fate, Chinese or Korean designers, instead of Italian ones, made it to the international bag scene, there wouldn't be any LVs around. Instead, we might get initials like BBQ and HIV on our bags (for designers Bao Bing-Quan and Hae-Im Vong respectively, whatever they might mean). So, in that same aspect, why would I want to go around carrying a bag that has some guy's initials all over? Geez, no thanks.

(* In retrospect, maybe I would, if that guy is some terrific fellow. For instance, Marc Jacobs, whose designs shot LV to fame while he struggled to contain his impulse to put his own initials 'MJ' all over the bags instead. But then again, I don't want to carry a bag that might mislead others into thinking that I dig Michael Jackson.)

So there, I'd probably never ever be aquainted with any high-fashon bags. But in case you ever catch me with one, it could be a gift, or that I changed my mind about having people's initials on my belongings. Just try not to think 'fake'.

2 comments:

Eilin T. said...

Elaine, in order for me to be eligible for the 'great mind' title, I'll just have to admit that you are one too...so yeah, great minds think alike! Haha...

As for the MJ bag, the only reason why I said I might carry one is precisely coz it doesn't exist. So please don't tell me that it does!

Anonymous said...

Well, this blog is not new but just happen to pop by. I actually belong to the category 1 people. i definitely think so that whats the big deal about all these logos on the bag? You can hardly tell a difference between a real from a reel one. You can buy 10 imitations for the price of a genuine bag.

I can see all these aunties carrying all thses branded stuffs and bags and take the MRT or even bus... Comeon, drive a car to go with it lah..

Another thing that I will like to point out is that the bag has the same pattern!! I can simply spend $50 and get a stylo and cool bag. It is not so painful when you got to change it when it is out of fashion. trust me.. all bags with all the funny initials aint cool.