I write, you read. No bargaining.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Finally...

... an article I can shove in the faces of those who give me the incredulous look when I tell them I went to Macalester College. A typical conversation like this usually follows...

"It's Macalester... A liberal arts college."

"Huh? Mac- what? You studied art??!!"

"Ma-ca-les-ter, in Saint Paul. And no, I did not major in Art. 'Liberal arts is not 'art' as in painting and drawing."

"Oh, St. Paul? Where's that?? Italy???" (Totally ignoring my liberal arts explanation.)

"Umm no, actually it's in Minnesota. Near Minneapolis. You know the Twin Cities?"

(Puzzled-But-Don't Think-I'm-Dumb-Or-What-Coz-I'm-Quite-Sure-I'm-A-Genius Look) "Sounds vaguely familiar...Is it in Greece?"

"It's in USA."

"Ohhh yessss!!! I knew it sounded familiar."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

America's Hot Colleges
Yes, Harvard's on the list. But so are lesser-known schools. Here are our picks for the places creating buzz for 2005-06.

By Jay Mathews
Newsweek

HOTTEST FOR LIBERAL ARTS

Macalester College, St. Paul, Minn.
The 1,900-student campus in the middle of a vibrant metropolis has become a key recipient of the growing number of Harvard, Yale and Princeton applicants who are rejected for no other reason than that those schools don't have space for all the A-plus applicants. Macalester has one faculty member for every 11 students and an emphasis on international affairs, symbolized by one of its most famous alumni, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan. The college has six language residences: Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian and Spanish. It offers the intimacy of the archetypal small-town campus—in the middle of the Twin Cities. Applications have increased 60 percent since 1995.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Certainly, it pales in comparison to NUS's No. 18 in The Times - World's Top Universities Ranking. But then again, a liberal arts college isn't a university, is it? And thank god for that. I meant, NUS has to really thank its god for that. :P

Oh man, I just love my funky college.

No comments: